Monday, August 29, 2011

a down-home kind of day

Saturday was busy (birthday party and festival in the city) and Sunday was lazy (gloriously lazy) and today was just right in a down-home kinda way.

 The girls decorated pencil boxes, one who's going off to the big box school excitedly, and one who says she wants to homeschool always.
 

 We prepped elderberries for making syrup and tincture.
 The girls played in the sand while I hung out the cloth diapers.
 There was an abundance of garden harvest.
 I dug potatoes, Sylvia found them in the dirt, and Camille peeled them.  I told her I would make as many mashed potatoes as she could peel.  She took me up on that by peeling 50 potatoes.  She set a goal and kept a tally.  I hope mashed potatoes freeze well.


 Carly's getting big and so are the chickens...
 but not old enough to lay eggs just yet.  One of our 'ladies' is a 'gent'.  Not sure how that's going to work out as I've never raised chickens before.  He seems very protective and a bit bully-ish.
 Ayla helped me round them up into their coop for the night

It wasn't flashy or grand, but it was a very satisfying day. It makes me think of this quote "As we get older and our kids grow up, we eventually come to realize that all the big things in our lives are really the direct result of how we've handled all the little things."
—Pam Sorooshian (an unschooling parent)
Camille and Papa are asleep.  The two littlest are awake and giggling and it's time for me to settle them in and read stories to Sylvia and nurse Ayla, until their eyelids feel heavy....

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, your bully-ing rooster (well, cockerel until he mates) will keep on in that vein. Just watch him with your kids. They can be mean beasts. He's protectin' his ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your down home day, Nikole. I felt like curling up for sleep at the end of it too! How wonderful your day was.

    I love the energy of this post—your kids know they are safe and that they matter to you, that their voices matter. And that's the point of life, isn't it? To listen, to pay attention to and respect, the little things. And when you do? Beauty simply shows up. It can't help itself, can it?

    I'm excited and nervous about Camille starting school! It must be any day now… I am looking forward to hearing (and seeing) all about it, in this lovely space of yours, Nikole. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day! I added your link to my Monday Garden Club and I hope you will join in next week as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your day with us! I love to read your stories and seeing tidbits of your lovely home and family :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?