Monday, August 20, 2012

kinda 'sucky'

Today started off kinda sucky.  One of the first things I did was clean up dog puke off of the living room floor.  Then, after getting breakfast on the table for the girls, I sat down with a full mug of coffee which I proceeded to spill (hot and unsipped) all over me and my favorite stuffed chair.  After ripping off my very hot soggy clothes and cleaning up the cushions as best I could, I sat down with a second, not-so-hot-anymore cup of coffee.  I managed to get in a couple of sips before someone needed my help with something (I forget now what it was).  For a moment I thought, it's going to be one of those days.

Then I immediately thought, forget that.  It's going to be a great day, I already got all of the troublesome bits out of the way.  And it was.  Great.  I took the girls to the dollar store (which they love), and out for ice cream cones.  Then we spent the rest of the day at the beach and played games in the evening.  The girls got along and enjoyed each other's company.  And I enjoyed theirs.

But it could have continued to suck.  We could have done nothing very fun, and the girls could have squabbled all day because I was grumpy and unwilling to help them or engage with them.  I could have grumped about the fact that my car died a while back and we are now sharing one (not super reliable, no-air-conditioning, very small backseat for three girls) car with my husband, and we live in an unfinished house, and the dishes and laundry will never be done.

BUT, I'm excited that we can look into buying another car because my husband just got a modest raise from his job.  I'm grateful that my husband has a job.  I'm grateful that I have a husband.  I'm grateful that he is willing to support the family while I focus on raising our daughters without school.  I'm grateful that we live in a big ol' house on a beautiful piece of land (that we can afford because it's unfinished) and that we can take our time to build walls and lay flooring, (etc.) room by room, and have the satisfaction of doing so.

It's not overwhelmingly hard, but it's not easy, to remember to be grateful when things start out kinda sucky, but it can make all the difference between a day (or a life) well spent and enjoyed or one trudged through.

Today was a bit cloudy at times, but I didn't want the end of summer to go by without soaking up more time for playing and swimming at our nearest state park.



  The sun did come out in full force for a little while.


drip castle

 sand angel


 acorns already?

 Back at home, there was time for kings in the corner in the 'clubhouse'.  Everyone took turns being a goat head (from saying "go ahead" at the end of each turn).

 Then we dug up some dinner.

Now Ayla and Papa are cleaning the other part of the basement that is soon to be turned into Papa's own (quiet) office space.  Truly that man is a saint to be able to work from home on the days that we are home too :).  Well, by soon I mean, after we put up (he puts up) sheetrock, the walls are taped, mudded, and painted, flooring is installed and the wiring and networking is all sorted out.  That kind of soon....

Now off I go to see Sylvia's puzzle that she just finished putting together and to help Ayla make play dough cupcakes and to help Camille with a tricky sudoku puzzle in her CD-ROM game Nancy Drew: Shadow at the Water's Edge.  

May peace and wellness be with you in your 'wild and precious life'.....

6 comments:

  1. O, how I love this post! What a lovely day you had, Nikole. Not 'sucky' at all, indeed! I love what you see and how you see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, ladies. For some reason this post was hard to write, not emotionally hard, but I just couldn't seem to get the right words out...I'm glad I kept trying....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very inspirational

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?