Tuesday, March 10, 2015

thawing and happiness

What a difference warmth and thaw and sunshine and blue skies makes around here.

As temperatures inch above freezing, we take to the fields and woods, with friends, or sisters, or animal companions.




Out come the yard birds and the bicycles and the sand pit toys.


Jackets and sweatshirts come off, and snacks and cups of coffee and books of poetry come along outside.

If you can sing, do it. If not

even silence can feel to the world, like happiness,
like praise,
from the pool of shade you have found beneath the everlasting.

~from Just Lying on the Grass at Blackwater, by Mary Oliver


I don't want you just to sit down at the table.
I don't want you just to eat, and be content.
I want you to walk out into the fields
where the water is shining, and the rice has risen.
I want you to stand there, far from the white tablecloth.
I want you to fill your hands with the mud, like a blessing.

~ from Rice, by Mary Oliver



What we saw filled our minds. What we saw made us want to love and honor the world. 

~ from A Blessing, by Mary Oliver.


I walk, all day, across the heaven-verging field.

~ from Upstream, by Mary Oliver
Look, I want to love this world
as though it's the last chance I'm ever going to get
to be alive
and know it.

~ from October, by Mary Oliver


I love March sunshine and mud and Mary Oliver. I am grateful for this sweet life.

* all Mary Olive quotes and excerpts taken from Blue Iris: Poems and Essays

3 comments:

  1. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, you got me at mary oliver. so glad she is woven into the spirit of your spring days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little bit of warmth and sunshine do wonders for the soul. I love how everyone is so ready for spring. It's been a long winter.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?