Sunday, January 6, 2013

energize

/ˈenərˌjīz/
Verb
  1. Give vitality and enthusiasm to.



My one-word-intention for this new year is energize.  What this means to me is that when I feel like I want to be doing something, I'm going to get up and do it.  Simple, no?

I find that when I get up and get excited about doing one thing, the momentum naturally carries me into the next thing, whether it's something that ought to be taken care of or something fun to do with my children.  Momentum itself is energizing!

So, here's one thing that has helped me kickstart my momentum ... snowshoeing.
Whether it's by myself,

on a torch lit trail at Mirror Lake State Park with Camille,

 or out in the field with a friend,
snowshoeing gets me moving and outside, which is so important to my overall well-being this time of year.

When I feel energized, my interactions with my family (and others) is more upbeat, my house gets tidied more often, and I feel happier and healthier.

Relaxing around the woodstove with some knitting, or snuggling up in a chair to read to my girls is that much more satisfying after some deep-breathing activity. Another benefit!

That's another thing that I love about unschooling, it's not just the children that get to have all of the fun!



from Merriam-Webster

Definition of ENERGIZE                    \ˈe-nər-ˌjīz\

transitive verb
1
: to make energetic, vigorous, or active <energized by the coach's pep talk>
2
: to impart energy to <sunlight energizes the chemical reactions>

2 comments:

  1. This is so true for me too and makes all the difference to my mood, interactions and the whole mood of the day.

    How lovely to have so much Snow!
    x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your snowy pics - makes me homesick for the Northern Hemisphere! I am trying to be with a similar intention too - just to make things happen and realise my dreams and those of my children too as much as is possible. Getting out into nature is so enriching for the soul. Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?