Monday, August 31, 2015

August, the good life

So, I seem to be the queen of random, lengthy, catch-up posts, but I neither want to give up sharing in this space or put more time/energy into it than I feel inspired about. So, here goes the first half of August...
Camille and Ayla made nature mandalas. Camille used only the sap from milkweed and the texture of the bark to hold her mandala upright. It stayed up for days on the downwind side of the pine tree.

 Ayla loves to carefully arrange things. It seems that half of her playtime is spent setting up things (toys, rocks, sticks, books, food, whatever) in patterns and lines and categories. So, it didn't surprise me that she latched onto this idea and worked at this diligently even though it was a windy day.
completed


more arranging


 A lot of August was spent soaking up time with friends and family before other kids go back to school.
I don't love ye olde minivan, but it's handy when each of three kiddos wants to bring a friend along on an outing. Totally worth it.



 lakeside in the evening, visiting friends

strolling the nearby bike path


soaking up summer's beauty and bounty


And then, my girls all left for over a week to spend time with both sets of grandparents. They had a blast and I was able to get a major kitchen tiling project done, and spend lots of time with the man that I love.
what 'curbside delivery' looks like in these parts


I seriously appreciated the power wet saw with a diamond cutting blade that my hubs insisted was necessary for the job. Did I mention that I love that man?


I spent a little time each day gathering from my seriously overgrown garden.



Ooooh, and we took a 10-mile bike ride most evenings.  


We spied a pair of sandhill cranes enjoying the bike path as well.

After several full days of hard work, the flooring was completed, though I never did get a great pic of it.

And the girls came home brimming with all of their usual exuberance, curiosity, and playfulness, and it was so, so good to have them home. Isn't that little tufted caterpillar a cutie? 

I can only sigh and say, it's a good life.

4 comments:

  1. The opening of your post made me snicker.
    And I have never considered sticking mandalas to a tree!!
    They're gorgeous.
    And I love the biking photos! Beautiful. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. Those bike rides were perfect, and he had just cut off his long hair and burly beard, so I was getting used to this short-haired, clean-shaven person in my life. :)

      Delete
  2. You are my shero! Your floor looks great. Love the photos as always.
    10mile hike most nights? I wish we had more than our neighborhood to walk around in the evening, but I'm not sure I would want to do 10miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Darcel! Those 10 miles were bike rides, considerably quicker and easier than hiking that distance. That's one of the benefits of living in the middle of nowhere. The downside? Not so many unchoolers round these parts.

      Ha ha, auto correct tried to change unschoolers to 'uncool ersatz' and when I didn't want that it 1tried for 'unscheduled'. That's a little closer!

      Delete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?