Monday, June 27, 2016

It's summertime!

During the first three weeks of June, the girls chose to go to the summer school classes that are offered for free at the local public school. We are not usually early risers but they had no problem waking up every weekday around 6:30 to get ready because they genuinely enjoy summer school. Camille took a beginning German class as well as a class that brought the teens to explore places around town. They played bingo at a senior center and volunteered at a daycare. They visited a cemetery and a goat farm, went geocaching, and swam at the town pool. 
a 'pop-up' Father's Day card in German

Sylvia took an advanced games class and a tie-dyeing class. In advanced games they tossed water balloons and eggs, played basketball, volleyball-tag, ran obstacle courses, and did team-building exercises. In her other class, besides tie-dyeing many pieces of clothing, Sylvia was able to create and play with clay, copper, beaded jewelry, batik, paper marbling, cupcake decorating, and making a colorful tube pillow.

In Ayla's first class, they rehearsed daily to prepare for performing a play. The kids learned songs, dances, and memorized lines for their play, It's a Pajama Party.  It was her first time on stage in front of a large-ish audience and she really seemed to enjoy it. She also took a crafty class and was so happy to have one of her good friends in the class along with her. Ayla's teacher had so many sweet things to say about her and Ayla proudly showed me her creations each day.

Classes were done each day by 11:00 am, so we still had time to embrace all of the other summer activities that we enjoy. Sylvia got a flower press and gathered pretties from around the yard try it out.




 Who doesn't love an early evening fire and roasting marshmallows for s'mores?

...even if it's a bit smoky

strawberry picking with a friend


sister shenanigans

Camille has also been participating in summer band and running club. She mostly prefers not to be photographed these days.
a rare Camille sighting

While the girls were in their classes I had a couple of quiet hours each day. Some days were spent working in the garden or catching up on chores, but many were spent creating in my art journal or spending time alone in nature. This replenished my reserves of gratitude and patience!

spiderwort

art journal cover, work-in-progress 

There is currently a free Women Unleashed Online Retreat happening that has inspired me to play with mixed media journaling. A listing of the many creative video sessions is available here and sign-up for the retreat is available here, if anyone else is interested. All free sessions are available through July and I probably still won't get through them all. (I have no affiliate interests, just passing on something that I've been enjoying.)

  chicken love for Papa and Ayla

  park play date

pool play date

 Camille volunteers weekly at the library and occasionally also helps with the summer kids' reading programs and events.
 hopscotch at the library

 exploring along the bike trail


While Camille was at the teen group at the library, Sylvia, Ayla and I explored the nearby bike trails and creek. They are both ready and willing to get sopping and/or muddy anytime, anywhere. We improvised a skirt for Ayla from a tank top so that she didn't have to soak her corduroy pants and into the creek they went.






What do you think? Do your kids love to get wet and muddy? Do you let them? I love, love, love summertime and spontaneous adventures. In the summer, my house is usually messy, my feet are dirty, and my laundry pile is high. I'm good with that.

Can you see Ayla on top of the monkey bars in the background? She is fearless lately, and oh-so-capable.

One more thing. Look at this beautiful bottle lamp that my friend made for me. Isn't it cool? I love it!

Signing off for now. In my next post I'll share some of my art journaling pages if I'm feeling brave. Thanks for visiting!


*all photos are from June 11 - 23

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?