Saturday, November 23, 2013

Monday, Tuesday

Monday started our week off on a positive note that seemed to follow us all the way through to the weekend.  You know how some days (weeks) you just can't seem to get things right?  This wasn't one of those.  This week felt like unschooling at its finest, you know, by our standards, which meant plenty of activity and enough downtime to balance it out.
 Camille made a simple healing salve with calendula oil, beeswax, vitamin E, and essential oils.  She started by straining the calendula blossoms out of the almond and hemp oils that they had been soaking in since we picked them out of the garden in late summer.

She weighed the oils and figured out the amount of beeswax that needed to be used for the proper ratio of oil to wax.  Because we bought beeswax in a five pound block, we needed to grate the wax before melting it into the salve.
We added vitamin E, lavender oil, and just a hint of tea tree oil, and poured the salve into tins and jars to harden.


Sylvia was up next.  She made a beautiful tangerine-lavender lip balm with coconut oil, sunflower oil, beeswax, and essential oils.  Similar process, different consistency and method of heating.  We melted everything in a small glass jar inside a pot of water before pouring it out into 10 lip balm tubes.






Each girl was able to be in charge of their own project with as little or as much help as they wanted from me. I'm still often surprised at how capable a 3 year old can be.  Ayla's project was hard lotion bars made with cocoa butter, coconut oil, beeswax, and vitamin E.  She chose lavender, bergamot, and cinnamon essential oils for the fragrance and they came out beautifully.


Her favorite phrase is:  "I can do it all by my own!"

On Tuesday, we drove into town to run errands and visit friends.  The highlight of the visit was a long wooded hike 'til the sun went down.


I simply love willows.







After even more play, followed by dinner out, there was an impromptu flash-mob-style parking lot dance party before saying good-bye to friends and starting our long drive home.
This week merits more than one post, so I'll leave it there for now, and just end by saying, I love this life.  I sometimes feel as though I shouldn't say that, as if it's bragging, or somehow negating the fact that it's not always easy to be so present and attentive with my children, but I do.  I love this life, through and through, and I'm grateful for it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, love your lotion bars and lip gloss. I am thinking of trying my hand at making them this year. Hope they look as good as yours. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?