Friday, May 24, 2013

positive change

OK, so, here's something that I think about often, maybe daily; my life is no more significant than anyone else's on this wide earth.  Who am I to spend my days playing with my kids, gardening, knitting, grateful and yet, privileged, really.  We struggle to make ends meet on one income sometimes, but there is abundance in our lives still.  My husband and I made choices and sacrifices that brought us to this place in our lives, but what of all the others who didn't have opportunities and support?  What about hunger and war and catastrophe?  What is my role on this earth?  I often feel undeserving.

And yet, wouldn't I be a fool not to appreciate every joyful thing that I experience.  It wouldn't make the world one bit better if I sunk in despair instead of rose up joyfully at the light in my own children's eyes. So, I will continue to donate to worthy causes like Heifer International and I will continue to offer a hand to those in my community who might be in extra need of help or friendship.  I will attempt to spread peace and joy from my tiny li'l spot on the globe.

And when it just doesn't feel like enough, I will continue to search my heart, my community, and my connection with the world to see what else I can do.  Even if it's just sending out my prayers and thoughts of peace into the universe.

I guess I have a recurring desire to write about these thoughts.  I have written a similar post before.

"One generation of deeply loving parents would change the brain of the next generation, and with that, the world." ~Charles Raison

Do you think we can make positive change in this world by the way we raise our children?  What do you do (with or without children) to reach out and be the change you want to see in the world?

“If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. … We need not wait to see what others do.”

~ Mahatma Gandhi

OK, I'm going to leave these thoughts here for now, and go help Ayla peek at the baby robins growing in the nest under our deck.  She will undoubtedly blow them kisses and whisper, "grow sweetly,"  as she does to all seedlings and hatchlings that she encounters.



2 comments:

  1. Can I humbly say....growing with our children, spending our lives pouring our hearts into lives that are ours for so short a time, filling hearts with goodness and love and light IS a worthy task...one, I am blessed to say brings me more joy and happiness than anyone has a right to have...more may come, needing us...but don't let the world tell you being who you are with and for your children is not enough right now...It is more than you can know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bethany, thank you for these kind and beautiful words. Sincerely.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?