Tuesday, August 27, 2013

feeling reflective


Sometimes, when I think of the billions of lives being lived on this planet, I am awestruck and humbled that this simple existence is mine.  I have made my fair share of mistakes.  I've laughed and cried and been hurt and hurt others and forgave and been forgiven.  I've jumped in whole-heartedly and held back, been frightened and emboldened and ashamed and redeemed.  I've held joy and sorrow in the open palm of my hand and the tears on my cheek.  I have loved and am loved.  I have given birth and mourned losses.  I am grateful for it all.

 splashing and digging

 The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them. 

 Thomas Merton



 sharing grapes


'Thank you' is the best prayer that anyone could say. I say that one a lot. Thank you expresses extreme gratitude, humility, understanding.
Alice Walker

looking through the garden kaleidoscope


Reflect upon your present blessings of which every man has many - not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.
Charles Dickens 


 exploring the botanical gardens

  loving

"May our heart's garden of awakening bloom with hundreds of flowers.”

― Thích Nhất Hạnh


 inhaling

playing with friends

 playing pinball
old-school arcade


It is our choices... that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
J. K. Rowling


 celebrating with friends and cupcakes

 building faerie houses

“Instructions for living a life. 
Pay attention. 
Be astonished. 
Tell about it.” 
― Mary Oliver

 quill and ink and keyboard

 heavy egg basket, tasty apple

 friends visiting on a hot day

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.
Pablo Picasso


A simple, joyful life is not one without complications, messiness, or missteps.  It is one in which these things are embraced as part of the whole.  Discord and harmony are not in opposition.  One may slip almost imperceptibly into the other.

3 comments:

  1. I really love this post -thoughtful and inspiring. It is mind blowing when you consider your own reality (not without it's messiness and emotionally fraught moments in my case) and look out to the wider world, the war, the suffering and even the sort of lack of love and love of stuff that surrounds us. When I look out at these things, even on my hardest days I can feel truly blessed to lead the life that I do. Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures of everyday ordinariness and the wonderful words and quotes. Love to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki, I enjoyed the qoutes, I think that is the most qoutes you used to date on your blog. It doesn't mesh with the spirit of this blog but one saying floored me the other day... "Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care". Teddy Roosevelt.

    Have another great day[s]!
    Love ya,
    Pops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind comments. Definitely the most quotes I've ever put up!

    Pops, I really like that Roosevelt quote, too :)

    Much love

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?