Monday, November 19, 2012

doing nothing

Last week was a crazy busy, Go!, kind of week. When we weren't out and about, running errands, and shopping for a used vehicle, I was doing such things as steam-mopping my floors.  Camille and Papa performed in Papa's Angels four times last week, and finished their final performance on Sunday, followed by a potluck/cast party, and a visit from Grandma and Grandpa.

Last night I had some kind of crazy migraine headache, and today I was determined to NOTHING.  Well, apparently nothing involves making two batches of jello playdough, reading a dozen library books in front of the woodstove, making 17th century corn bread, organic butter from cream, and a huge salad, building with blocks and wooden train tracks, and starting A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  (I don't dream up these things, they do!)
 yum
 cozy by the woodstove
 shaking butter in a mason jar
 mixing grape and orange playdough

taking it easy
Apparently, we play so hard that they just fall asleep in the middle of things. (Never mind the puppy-chewed furniture).

About A Christmas Carol, Camille said, "I really like this so far, even though it's kind of hard to understand, and he explains things a lot."  It took over three pages for Charles to tell us that (1) Marley is dead (as a doornail), and (2) Scrooge is not a pleasant man, but we laughed out loud at many of the descriptors.

I wonder how that 17th century corn bread is going to taste when it comes out of the oven . . . I hope it's good with homemade butter.  Camille has big plans for hasty pudding (aka corn mush) for breakfast, and then, because we overheard an Amish woman discussing her recipe for fried mush, I think that's next (It looks a lot better than it sounds :).  We also watched WordGirl (Sylvia's current fave), Molly, an American Girl on the Homefront, and part of Human Planet Disc 2.

I know I've said it before, but I really love this life.  It's not glamorous, but it's good.

2 comments:

  1. "and he explains things a lot."

    I love this post and the honesty of children. :)

    If we just could open our minds enough to really hear what children are telling us we could see how truly honest and bright they are.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?