Wednesday, September 25, 2013

autumnal

From harvesting to hiking, hayrides and pumpkin patches, our activities have a decidedly autumnal flavor these days.

One of my girls has a much more extroverted energy than the rest of us.  With the weather cooling and the days shortening, I want to ensure that she's getting her needs met, too.  Sylvia joined in with some of her friends at girl scouts for the first time this year (without big sister).  She has a weekly ballet class without siblings as well.  

Her first girl scout outing was to a local farm to help the farmers gather pumpkins and to take a hayride.  She loved it, of course.
circling up

gathering minis

little sisters






“I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.” 
― Henry David Thoreau

The farm happened to be about a mile away from us.  When I was chatting with one of the the farmers, she expressed an interest in our eggs.  After the outing was over, I dropped Sylvia and Ayla off at home and took Camille with me to deliver a carton of eggs to the farmers.  We exchanged them for Camille's pick of any pumpkin in the field.  Sweet!

Then, Camille returned to what she had been doing, which is helping Papa hang drywall in the room that he's finishing.  Win, win, and win, I think.

After circus class this week, we met friends at one of the most beautiful places that I've ever been in Wisconsin.  We hiked into a magical gorge filled with a slow moving creek, waterfalls, and exuberant children.  While I remembered to bring my camera, it didn't do me any good with the battery still sitting at home in the charger.  Ack!  I was still driving in the van when this dawned on me, and I said in a very calm voice, "I'm going to yell now.  It has nothing to do with any of you ... YELLING AND MILD CURSING about batteries and forgetfulness ... (calm voice again) I'm done yelling now."  They burst out laughing at my absurd venting, and we proceeded to have an amazing hike.  I let go of my desire to 'capture the moment' and immersed in it instead.  That has a charm and awareness of its own, though I do love seeing beauty through the lens.

monarch on aster, backyard beauty

The local color is slowly changing, with rust and gold peppering the formerly green fields.

Even after a cool, foggy morning, the sun still shared enough heat to make an afternoon of playing on the Wisconsin River a delightful experience.



 At the end of the day, some of us were plum-tuckered out :)  The mile long walk back to the parking area seemed much longer than the walk in.  Ayla climbed on top of our bags and supplies in the jogging stroller and promptly fell asleep.  The combination of sun, sand, and water nearly has that effect on me, too.


 The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.
John Muir

3 comments:

  1. Love the autumn colours and pumpkins - such a golden time of year. Wisconsin looks like a beautiful part of the world. Love your pointless venting - so, so good sometimes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lou! We do love it here. The seasonal shifts can be a bit intense, but it keeps us on our toes.

    And, yes, harmless venting can be such a good release! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. So much goodliness.
    The drywall reminds me of a Home project going on around here. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?