Wednesday, December 29, 2010

quinoa salad recipe (of sorts)

This is going to be very loosey-goosey as far as recipes go, because that's how I make it.  It's especially good as a summertime pot-luck food, but I have had a big craving for it lately.  
Put 2 c. quinoa and 4 c. water in a covered pot and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed (similar to cooking rice).
When the quinoa has cooled, add in 1-2 c. cooked corn, 1-2 c. beans (I usually use black beans), some chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, and a large handful of chopped cilantro (I also like scallions or chives, but I leave them out for the sake of the girls).
In a separate container (I use a glass 2-c. measuring cup), mix the juice of 2-3 lemons, plenty of raw minced garlic, a couple Tbsp. of ground cumin seed, and salt to taste.  Then fill with olive oil until you have about a cup of dressing.  This dressing should taste pretty strong, as the quinoa soaks up a lot of flavor. 
Pour dressing over salad and mix thoroughly.  I find that it tastes the best after it has sat in the refrigerator for a day and the flavors have all mingled.  Enjoy!
This is a version of this recipe using red quinoa and kidney beans.

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! We love quinoa and have a similar recipe but I've never thought of tryng kidney beans. I think I've got some dried ones in the cupboard so we can try this next time :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The kidney beans were Camille's idea, she loves 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum!! I love all those ingredients. Will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?