Saturday, February 4, 2012

Ableman's Gorge

My family enjoys hiking and discovering new places, so I have found this listing of Wisconsin's natural areas by county to be a great resource.  Today we explored Ableman's gorge.
This is the Van Hise Rock.  It shows exposed layers of metamorphic quartzite which is what makes up many of the bluffs and gorges in the Baraboo hills area of Wisconsin.  According to the historical marker this specific rock is "pictured in geologic books as a type illustrating important principles of structural geology".

 Rather than following a trail, we followed railroad tracks across a bridge, and followed a deer path into the gorge.

 Camille, Sylvia, and Papa climbed to the very top of the gorge, while Ayla and I followed the deer trail for awhile.  Ayla fell asleep in the wrap (she always does :) and I found a nice dry rock to perch on and turn my face to the sun.

 See that tiny pink dot near the top?  That's them on their way down.

 I love seeing the little signs that promise spring is not so far away.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely.
    I love the early promises, too... I'm not impatient and eager yet, but I surely will be in the next two weeks. :) Glad to see the world is still turning properly. (Still brown as far as I can see.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am eager and dreaming of sprouting gardens, but not quite impatient :)

      Delete
  2. IT LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF FUN, AND THEY ARE FANTASTIC PICTURES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mama,
      It's no Grand Cayman, but it'll do ;-)

      Delete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?