Friday, February 3, 2012

A week without a co-parent

We made it through a week of Papa having to be gone on a business trip.  Somehow I have to smile when I call it a business trip for my long-haired, bearded husband and co-parent.  Yes, he's using a company credit card, but luckily he doesn't need to wear suits, ties, and shiny shoes :)

Let's see, we managed here at home with just the right amount of busy and letting it slide.  I kept up on the essentials: mostly healthy food, a manageable amount of clean dishes, maintaining the chickens and the puppy, keeping the woodstove burning, etc.

I didn't do a lick of laundry, or anything else that made me feel like panicking :)   

Sylvia, Ayla, and I went hiking on the one sunny day.  We painted, and danced, and sang, and had plenty of read aloud, snuggle time.  The girls had lots of extended bathtub time.  Camille went to an archery class with a friend, and loved it (I see bows and arrows in our future).  There was a movie night with popcorn, and a run to the dollar store and fabric store.  We bought plenty of special treats.  Yup, I'm exhausted.  Can't wait to see that man :)


Ayla kept draping things over her head and demanding a picta.  Can't resist that little ragamuffin face.

 And I found it!  The sweater that I knit, hmm, two summers ago?, that finally fits Sylvia but was lost in moving-box-land.  I swear I had at least glanced into all of the boxes, but there they were, some still-taped-up ones.  I also found my Kitchen Aid mixer attachments.  Yes!

The week had some demanding moments, but mostly I just missed having those end of the day talks, being a witness to each others' days and thoughts, accepting each other, challenging each other, holding space for each other when we're at our best and our worst....someone to get excited with me when I finally find the mixer attachments :)

"And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
~ Khalil Gibran

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you girls survived,is Tony back now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost. He'll be back tonight in the wee hours.

      Delete
  2. I loved your last paragraph, how sweet:) My husband takes on side jobs sometimes (more recently lately), and it's hard to seeing him as much, the kids don't like it, but right now it's a necessity. At least we still get to see him for a couple hours in the evenings, can't imagine him being gone for an entire week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,
      A week does feel long, but I seem to go into a resilient mode while he's gone. Then I need quite a bit of downtime to recover after he gets back. I have been having a Larkrise to Candleford marathon. I love that show :)

      Delete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?