Monday, November 7, 2011

Gratitude over Guilt

 Some days I can hardly believe that I get to have this life.  Some days I am filled with the wonder of it.  I get to romp in the fresh air with my kiddos, read in the sunshine, eat food straight from the earth.



 

  Sylvia and Ayla were thrilled with liberating the milkweed seeds from their pods.  Sylvia said, "I am the midwife, helping the milkweed fairies be born."
Besides spending our day in the sunshine, we baked buttermilk biscuits from scratch, then gluten-free buttermilk biscuits for (and by) Camille.  We slathered the biscuits in butter and this strawberry jam.  Papa whipped up some eggrolls with the cabbage from the garden.  We read aloud three chapters of Little House in the Big Woods.  Sylvia chose to watch Strawberry Shortcake on Netflix.  Camille chose Fairly Odd Parents.  I knit in the spare moments, hung laundry on the line, sliced pears for snack.  That, in a nutshell, was my day.
I know not everyone gets to, chooses to, or would want to even if they had to, live my life.  I sometimes feel guilty that I am not more actively involved in community/political/environmental action.  I do make my personal and consumer choices as ethically as possible, and so I am choosing to feel gratitude instead of guilt.  I am truly grateful for this simple life.

2 comments:

  1. "I am the midwife helping the milkweed fairies be born." Oh, melt my heart.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?