Tuesday, March 6, 2012

playing in the dirt for real and more

Sylvia and I started a batch of carrot bread (with cinnamon, coconut, and slivered almonds) this morning while the snow was melting outside.
 Then we headed out to play in the dirt (mud).  The only snow left in our yard was in the shade of the solar panels, though in the woods and down the valley there will still be snow for some time.



 Sylvia picked out some yarn and a twiggy branch and started to wrap and weave, incorporating feathers, twigs, and seed-heads on occasion.

 She declared it "a fine day for dancing in the spring breezes," and the rooster agreed.
 I hung out the first laundry of the year, though I may have been a bit hasty.  The quilt nearly ended up in the mud.  I actually caught it as it went flying off the line from the strong wind.

Sylvia returned to her weaving several times throughout the day.

 We were in long enough for Ayla to nap, and for us to have some lunch and play Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?:  Junior Detective Edition.
 Then a lovely pre-dinner walk with all of my girls.

 With a side trip into the snowy woods for some tree acrobatics by Camille.

In the evening, Sylvia and Camille took turns playing Dr. Seuss games on the computer and being read aloud to (and snuggled) by me, with Ayla of course happily and loudly in the middle of it all.  Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie with classic illustrations by Scott Gustafson for Camille.  (It took Scott Gustafson more than 4 years to create the oil paintings that illustrate this book).  And The Birchbark House by Louise Erdrich for Sylvia.  (I had read this author in a Native American literature class in college and was excited to see a novel by her for young readers).

The carrot bread didn't turn out (overdone on the outside and gooey in the middle), but everything else about this day positively sung of spring.  The sunshine soaked in and warmed me throughout, and  I feel renewed.

5 comments:

  1. love, love, love Birchbark House. have you gals read any Joseph Bruchac lately? love- j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we've only read The first Strawberries and 13 Moons on Turtle's back, but it's been awhile. Thanks for the reminder, j. Off I go to request some from the library... :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE the weaving Sylvia :) Especially with the bits of pine cones and feathers. Great job! Lucky catch with the quilt too but it's oh so nice to be able to hang the laundry outside :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might be Peter Pan! Love your pics - they capture in between winter and spring so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke, hanging out the laundry is positively my favorite chore (doing dishes may be my least favorite) and it feels lovely to be able to again without the clothes freezing on the line. And I see lots of stick weaving in our future. Sylvia Loved doing this.

    And thank you, Ingi!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?