Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Maple snow candy, leg warmers, and other randomness...

We made maple snow candy and it was amazingly delicious.  There are directions for it at Rosina's blog.  I have wanted to try this ever since reading about it in the Little House on the Prairie series.

I also finished a knitting project.  Hooray!  They are wool leg warmers for Sylvia made from Patton's sock yarn. Now I've started on a pair for Ayla, as these were originally meant to be hers.  Simplest pattern ever... I used size 3 double-pointed kneedles and loosely cast on 50 stitches.  Knit 10 rows of knit 1, purl 1 ribbing, and knit the rest until they were almost as long as desired (in this case 12").  Knit another 10 rows of the ribbing and bind off very loosely so it doesn't pinch the thigh at the top.
For Ayla's, I have used a slightly finer, softer sock yarn and only cast on 44 stitches.  They look like they will be the right size for her this time.
Here's some other random pictures from the last few days...


...just 'cause they're so sweet...

 ...playing Mythmatical Battles with Papa (Yes, she cut her own bangs again.  I encouraged her to look in a mirror this time...;-)  

...and more backyard snow play before it gets really cold out.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful legwarmers, lucky girl.
    And the sleeping siblings photo - so sweet.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love those! The leg warmers are beautiful. Thanks for noting the pattern. I'm still beginner knitter venturing into more during the cold home times. My youngest hates wearing socks (too slippery for dancing) but actually has commented on legwarmers. Just haven't gone there yet. 8-). He'd love that.

    We haven't made snow candy in years. I think we might do that this week. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the legwarmers!! I just finished the socks I was knitting and I just love using the rainbow colored yarn :) I'm so happy that you guys enjoyed making and eating the maple snow candy so much to and thanks for the link :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?