Monday, July 4, 2011

elderflower cordial

While picking elderflowers for elderflower cordial, Sylvia and I discovered that the cherries and black raspberries were ripening.
  

                      ooooh, sour
 We added the zest of 2 lemons and 2 oranges to our flowers and poured 6 1/2 c. of boiling water over it.  We covered it to steep for 24 hours.

We made kimchi in the meantime.
 We picked chard.

 "One for you, Mama."  The black raspberries ripened.

After steeping we added 4 c. organic cane sugar, and the juice from the zested fruit, brought it all to a boil and poured into sterilized quart jars.  From what I understand, I need to add citric acid if I plan on preserving this in the pantry, but these won't last that long anyway.  We dilute with about 3 parts water to 1 part cordial for ice-lollies, or add to sparkling water for elderflower soda.  So refreshing!  I was inspired by the recipe from The River Cottage Preserves Handbook, but made a few small changes.


Sylvia also picked a handful of black raspberries and lots of spearmint to add to the nettles that Camille had picked for sun tea.  I love the four-year-old forager/kitchen helper/gardener enthusiasm!  She'll often jump up and down shouting in glee, "I picked lamb's quarters for you!" or somesuch thing.
In other news, we found a loverly lil' swimming lake/beach at a state park about 15 minutes away!  Aaaaah, life is good.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, that all looks wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all this making and doing and summery frolicking! What wonderful projects you've been working on. I love these because you are truly creating from the earth. Coming together so seamlessly and purely. Makes me happy. I would love to stop by and drink that cordial with you and your sweet family, Nikole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, I do so love magic Potions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how lovely. We are huge fans of foraging adventures as well. Your cordial sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?