Saturday, July 23, 2011

A sad day

Even though a very small percentage of closed-eyed wild rabbits survive in human care, we all thought Potter would make it.  We watched him grow from a completely helpless, blind, injured babe to a capable hopper who ate wild clover, sorrel, and dandelion greens, as well as our rich milk mixture and lacto-fermented carrots.  Establishing a healthy gut balance is very difficult without the mama rabbit's milk, and though I know we loved him up the best we could, we were not able to keep him alive from sheer wanting to. One morning he was no longer with us, and we had to say goodbye.  It was painful...for me personally, and for my girls. I haven't had such a hard cry in a good long time.
 When Potter was outside with us, he would find a warm spot under a nearby leg, hand, or foot and snuggle in.  Such a sweetness he brought to us all. I am grateful for his presence in my life, and I know we are all thankful for the Potter love we were able to share, however brief.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Nikole, I am so sorry. I thought he would make it too. I was loving him so much from all the way over here! I am grateful for his presence too, and for getting to share in and see the incredible love that poured out of you all. Thank you so much, for every part of the Potter journey. Sending hugs and love. And then, more hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about Potter, its hard to have a pet/rescuee pass but you have all done the best that could be done, and he lived a lot longer then if you had not found him.Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry. That must be very hard. Warm thoughts sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very sorry!!! :(

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?