Sunday, January 8, 2012

Bird seed cookie ornaments



We started following a different recipe that turned into a crumbly mess, so I modified it, and baked it, and came up with this:

3 c. wild bird seed
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. cornmeal
1/4 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. water
3 Tbsp. corn syrup (or molasses)
3 eggs (including shells crushed)
+ add-ins (We added a handful of pepitas (green pumpkin seeds) and a handful of flax seeds.  You could add chopped dried fruit or nuts or a little extra bird seed instead if you like.)

Mix all ingredients together.

Press onto a wax paper lined baking dish.  Cut out ornament shapes and transfer carefully to another lined baking sheet, or bake as is, and cut shapes later with a knife.

Bake.  I baked it at 375 F for 15 minutes because the oven was already in use, but I would lower the temperature and bake it a little longer otherwise.

You can cut out holes with a straw (before baking) for stringing, or leave it and use embroidery thread and a thick needle to string after baking.

Hang them out for the birds and observe.








We saved some unstrung pieces for the chickens and they were greatly enjoyed.  A treat for wild birds and domesticated alike.


PhotobucketCreative Friday ButtonPhotobucket

4 comments:

  1. WOW! These turned out super cute!! I love hwo you were able to make shapes with your recipe! I am your newest follower. I'd love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-) I'd also love for you to come link up at TGIF kid oriented Linky Party - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties - I know my readers would love this too =-)
    Have a great weekend,
    Beth
    P.S. I don't see any translation, but with your name - hablas Espanol? Yo creci in Espana =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth. I'll check out your link-up, pero no hablo Espanol mucho :) I wish my Spanish skills were better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, how cool is this activity!!! Love it.. I'm your newest follower :) thanks so much for sharing this on Sharing Saturday.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know that I tried this activity over the weekend and blogged about it today at http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2012/02/happy-valentines-day.html.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?