Wednesday, January 4, 2012

sweetening the little moments

I feel like we're finally post-holiday back to normal, ...or what passes for normal for us.  I'm getting outside a little each day, even if it's just four 5-minute trips to play with the puppy, check on the chickens, haul in a load of wood, and shout "La Luna!" at the top of my lungs to the daytime moon in the bright blue sky.  That's my new built-in me-time, and I love it (OK, I don't always shout at the sky).  Sylvia and Ayla can't get into too much trouble while I'm out there, and Ayla likes to watch out the window, especially if I'm feeding the chickens.


I'm not an early-riser.  Sylvia, Ayla, and I are the stay up late - sleep in late set, and Camille and Papa are the early to bed - early to risers.  Every day Papa waits with Camille for her school bus.  She sits on his lap in a lawn chair at the end of the driveway.  I think it's very sweet.  She can wait alone like every other child on her bus route, but it makes her nervous.  This morning Papa wasn't feeling very well so I got up and waited with her, and breathed in the pre-dawn cold air.

Life is a series of little moments.  There is a place for grand plans and grand adventures, but right now in my life, I'm focusing on sweetening the little moments.  They add up to a sweet big life.  It really is the opposite of a Mama-martyr-give more than I have-kind of mode.  It's little interactions that nourish me as well as my girls and quite possibly spill out into my other interactions in the world.
.
Other than that, the last few days have been filled with knitting, cooking, eating, reading aloud (Eragon, Farmer Boy, or Moo, Baa, La La La depending on who I'm reading to), rocking a teething toddler to sleep in front of the woodstove, singing, silliness, living room dance parties, crafty things involving coffee filters, recyclables, and tape for Sylvia, playing on the Wii, and lots of deep breaths.

Living room dance parties are a staple of our winter days.  Sometimes it's just a few wild moments to move our bodies to some funky music.  Sometimes it's a clean, sweep, and set-the-stage kind of  affair, complete with dresses and crowns, dollies, and animals to join our elaborate party with elegant music.  Either way is fine with me :)




 I started this blog post 12 hours ago, but Sylvia interrupted with, "I need a Mama-front-to-back-snuggle."  (It's her favorite snuggle position :)  She promptly laid her head on my shoulder, curled her little fingers around my thumb and went back to sleep.  I laid there for an hour, sleepy, grateful, and realizing how much bigger her nearly-five-year-old fingers are than when she was a wee baby.  One thing led to another and my day of little moments moved forward, but I'm back and I hope that your day is filled with little moments sweetened with thoughtful attention.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Nicole. I LOVE the girls hats. Did you make them? Can I know the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The patterns for the crowns are in the fall '08 issue of Living Crafts magazine. It's the only magazine I get. I love it.
    http://www.livingcrafts.com/page/Fall08

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this post. And seeing the girls dancing together with the sunlight shining in the room is so precious. I hope we get a copy of these next year! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?