Tuesday, November 30, 2010

cheesemaking at the library

 Here it is, the final post of November's NaBloPoMo, and it is to be much the same as any other post, a snapshot of our day.  


C went to a cheesemaking class at the library.  They made organic fresh mozzerella (I love the library).  She learned about how the proteins are formed into curds, and helped separate the curds and the whey.  C didn't actually like the end product, but her sister and I thought it was delicious.  Does anyone reading this have any suggestions for making cheese without rennet?  Otherwise, I'll do some homework to research my options....
S played on the library computer to occupy her time.
As usual we left the library with a staggering load of picture books, chapter books, DVDs, and audio books, and I think I know what the rest of our evening will be like....reading, watching, and listening.

2 comments:

  1. Meaning vegetarian rennet? I use a veg rennet from The Dairy Connection for rennet based cheeses. I also make a TON of yogurt cheese, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese, and ricotta, using lemon or vinegar.

    Mozzarella is fun too - here is the recipe we use:
    http://cookeatthink.blogspot.com/2009/02/home-made-mozzarella.html

    And I use recipes from here very often:
    http://fiascofarm.com/recipes/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Denise. I'm a total newbie at cheesemaking, but I knew I didn't want veal rennet, so veg. rennet is what I was looking for. Thanks for the info and the links!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?