Saturday, November 27, 2010

Do you have a life outside of being a mom?

I was recently asked, "Do you have a life outside of being a mom?"  This was not asked with ill intent, but I've never had someone ask that in such a straight forward manner before.  I was unsure of what to say, not because I'm unsure of where I want to be in my life, but because I didn't know how to express myself.  In short, I don't have a life outside of being a mama to my three girls, but my life is lived fully.  I babbled a bit about the homeschooling community being a big part of my life, and the fact that I have a baby that I don't feel comfortable being away from yet, and that I'm sure that when I feel the need for more in my life that I will be able to find it in some form or another.

The truth is that I don't have a life outside of being a mom, but I have a life which fully includes being a Mama.  I have no shortage of social interaction, or time for creativity, self-expression, love, kindness, fulfillment, laughter, movement, and friendship.  These just all happen to include my children.  I will have greater amounts of the illusive "time to myself" as they all grow and become more and more independent members of the community, and I will find meaningful ways to fill that time, but for me, right now, being a mama is the most meaningful thing I could be doing every... single... day.


"There is no single effort more radical in its potential for saving the world
than a transformation of the way we raise our children." Marianne Williamson

1 comment:

  1. Great post - agreed. I feel frustration at that loaded question. I am not denying myself or being a martyr by being with my children. I'm living fully with my family and I love it, even if it means shifting some things in order to have the life we want right now, and understanding that the 'me me me me me' ego will have plenty of time to rear its ugly head again after my children are grown. ;P

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?