Thursday, June 23, 2011

strawberry-rhubarb preserves

I have never made preserves before, or canned anything.  I tend to blanch and freeze if my garden is over-abundant, but after freezing several quarts of strawberries for smoothies, I had to try my hand at canning or waste many pounds of strawberries that we picked.  So, I learned as I went, and I hope to learn more, but one must start somewhere.  Long after everyone else went to bed, Sylvia and I were up chatting and preparing strawberries and rhubarb.  We had about 14 c. of sliced strawberries and about 2 c. of rhubarb.  We added about 8 c. of sugar, which seemed crazy excessive to me, but was still significantly less than what the mainstream recipes called for.


The next day, I washed and sterilized the jars, lids, bands, funnel, and tongs, and cooked the fruit up to 221 F (which was difficult to do because at that temperature, the whole thing wants to boil over the pot).  I filled the jars, then sealed them by keeping the jars submerged in boiling water for 5 min.  If all went well, I see lots of canning in my future.  This is a skill that I would love to have and to share with my kids.

 This ties in well with Camille's latest bedtime read:
I love the connection that harvesting and preserving food brings to our table, to the environment, to our past, and to our future.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to learn how to do canning and preserving on a larger scale than the odd pot of jam too!
    That bedtime reading looks interesting. I've always been a little (over romantically) edeared by the amish way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you all are learning a lot out on the farm. We're very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say. Leave a comment?